Risk Information Sharing Consortium (RISC)
NLC-RISC is the National League of Cities Risk Information Sharing Consortium, a membership association of state municipal league sponsored intergovernmental risk-sharing pools in thirty-four states and British Columbia, Canada. The mission of NLC-RISC is to facilitate information sharing between pools, provide staff and trustee training on pooling operations and risk management issues, and develop programs and information that support effective and efficient pool operations and member service delivery.
NLC-RISC member pools offer property, liability, workers' compensation, unemployment, and/or employee benefit programs to their combined 16,000+ member cities, towns, counties and other local government entities.
- Annual Conferences
NLC-RISC holds two conferences per year—one for staff of state municipal league-sponsored risk pools, and one for their trustees. The conferences provide the opportunity to learn about trends, programs, services and best practices in a variety of coverage lines and functional areas, and offers a great opportunity to network with pool staff or fellow trustees from across the country—all in a non-competitive, collaborative environment!
- 2018 Staff Conference (Oct. 22-24, Little Rock, AR)
- 2019 Trustees Conference (May 15-17, Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- Specialty Group Online Communities
NLC-RISC provides listservs and online communities for a variety of specialty groups to communicate, maintain online discussions, share information, and learn from each other. Groups include:
- Loss Control, Claims, & Underwriting
- Health Pools
- Pool Administrators
- Online Training Interest Group
- RISC eNews
The RISC eNews is a publication distributed monthly, which provides relevant news information from various sources to member pool staff. It also serves as a timely source of RISC information for pool staff, including updates regarding member pool resources or programs; activities, projects and initiatives at NLC-RISC, NLC Mutual, and NLC affecting or involving state league pools; upcoming events; changes in pool personnel; and employment opportunities in pooling.
- Resources & Tools
NLC-RISC researches topics of interest to pools, and has been involved in projects such as a Drones Issue Analysis whitepaper and an amicus brief in the Washington Supreme Court case Washington Counties Risk Pool v. Clark County Washington.
RISC Member Tools:
- Agility Disaster Recovery Program
- PR Toolkit
- Tenant Users Liability Program
- NetDiligence cyber security services
Jobs in Pooling:
- Executive Director (Texas Political Subdivision Workers’ Compensation Alliance) - Austin, TX
- Director of Trust Operations - Indianapolis, IN
- Chief Finance Officer - Denver, CO
- Underwriting Assistant Manager - Austin, TX
- Director of Property & Casualty Underwriting - East Providence, RI
- Executive Director - Denver, CO
- Property & Liability Supervisor - Orlando, FL
- Risk Information Sharing Consortium