On May 6, 2021, NLC and our Reimagining Public Safety Task Force convened subject matter experts and local leaders to explore how cities have historically allocated public safety resources and shared insights on local innovations emerging across the country. Speakers also discussed upcoming federal support for public safety efforts, both through the American Recovery Plan and the promise of the American Jobs Plan.
Moderator, Kirby Gaherty, Program Manager, Justice Reform at NLC’s Institute for Youth, Education, and Families
- Sandra Van den Heivel, Vera Institute of Justice
- Richard Auxier, Urban Institute
Moderator- Insha Rahman, Vera Institute of Justice
- Council President Lisa Bender- Minneapolis, MN
- Vice Council President Willie Lightfoot- Rochester, NY
- Mariela Angel- Director Office of Community Safety, Albuquerque
Moderator- Anthony Smith, Cities United
- Reggie Moore- Former OVP Director, Milwaukee
- Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Milwaukee
- David Muhammad- Director of National Institute of Criminal Justice
Closing Remarks by Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt.