NLC Prescription Discount Program
Residents of your town who lack insurance or whose insurance doesn't cover the drugs they need may be struggling to pay for life-changing medications. Did you know you can help with NLC’s Prescription Discount program, at no cost to your city?
Administered by CVS Caremark, Prescription Discount can save your residents an average of 24% off the full retail cost of prescription medication. There is no enrollment form, no membership fee for member city residents and no restrictions or limits on the frequency of use. The discount card is accepted at more than 68,000 pharmacies nationwide, including all major pharmacy chains and most local independent pharmacies.
Getting Started with Prescription Discount
Get cards and help your residents start saving.
Is your city already signed up? Print a card now.
Getting the Most Out of Prescription Discount
The program provides participating cities with customized discount cards and sample promotional materials including a press release and web page.
A solid promotional plan helps ensure residents know they can take advantage of this valuable service. These are some techniques that helped other cities raise awareness:
- Distribute prescription cards in several locations: City Hall, public libraries, YMCAs, recreational centers, senior homes, as well as police and fire stations are good locations.
- Hand out the prescription cards at community events throughout the year in your city or town; have a city official describe the benefits. The city of Altoona, PA gained attention by launching the program during a local minor league baseball game.
- Work with local media. Altoona’s mayor also pitched the story to local news, resulting in four positive stories on the mayor’s work to provide better drug prices for residents.
- Share your savings numbers. Don’t be shy: the numbers will quickly add up. Be sure you keep updated program info on your city website and share monthly savings data (provided to you by NLC) with your city council.
- Stay organized. Dedicate one staff person to be responsible for the program, like a city clerk, administrative staff member, city manager, assistant city manager, or the community development manager.
Who is this service available to?
All NLC member cities.
Who pays for the service?
Similar to other store loyalty programs, there is no cost join Prescription Discount—for the resident and the city.
Where can the card be used? Do customers have to use it at CVS?
This card can be used not only at CVS, but at any one of over 68,000 pharmacies nationwide, including all major chains and most independent pharmacies.
How much money have cities saved?
The NLC Prescription Discount Program has saved residents nationwide over $50 million on retail prescriptions.
Does the card cover over-the-counter products and non-prescription medication?
Not usually. However, discounts are available for many diabetic supplies.
How is this prescription discount program different from traditional prescription insurance?
This plan is not insurance; it is a prescription discount program. The card provides immediate discounts at the pharmacy. Upon presenting your card to the pharmacist, you will pay the lower of a discounted price or the pharmacy’s regular retail price.
Can Prescription Discount be combined with an insurance benefit to reduce my costs?
Your card cannot be used in conjunction with other insurance. However, you are able to use your card to purchase prescriptions that are not covered by these plans.
What are the most commonly purchased prescriptions under this program?
Click here for a list of the top 50 prescriptions.
Does the card provide discounts on anything else?
Certain medications for pets with human ailments such as arthritis, diabetes or obesity are included in the Prescription Discount program.
CVS Caremark, which has broad experience in managing prescription discount cards since 1992, administers this program. CVS Caremark does not give or share personally identifiable health information to manufacturers or direct marketers. CVS Caremark is fully compliant with all federal and state privacy and security regulations pertaining to the protection of protected health information and has a robust compliance program which monitors and enforces policy compliance.
This is not insurance. Discounts are only available at participating pharmacies. By using this card, participants agree to pay the entire prescription cost less any applicable discount. Savings may vary by drug and pharmacy.
For more information, to check drug costs, or locate a pharmacy, visit: info.caremark.com/nlc