There are many ways to lead at NLC.
Shape National Municipal Policy — Join a Federal Advocacy Committee
Advocate for Diversity in Cities — Join a Constituency Group
Connect with Cities Like Yours — Join a Member Council
Get involved with NLC by applying to join one of our Member Councils, Constituency Groups or Federal Advocacy Committees and represent your community at the national level.
Applications are now closed, please check back soon for updates.
NLC accepts membership applications for the following groups:
Federal Advocacy Committees
- Community & Economic Development
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Finance Administration & Intergovernmental Relations
- Human Development
- Information Technology & Communications
- Public Safety & Crime Prevention
- Transportation & Infrastructure Services
Our member councils provide a networking space for interacting with other local elected officials whose communities are similar.
- First Tier Suburbs Council
- Large Cities Council
- Military Communities Council
- Small Cities Council
- University Communities Council
- Council on Youth, Education, and Families
- Race, Equity and Leadership (REAL) Council
- Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials (APAMO)
- Hispanic Elected Local Officials (HELO)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Local Officials (LGBTLO)
- National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials (NBC-LEO)
- Women in Municipal Government (WIMG)
How to Apply
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS are currently closed
- LOGIN TO YOUR MYNLC ACCOUNT AND UPDATE YOUR PROFILE (important sections to update include your full profile and expertise). Note: MyNLC account must be for the applicant.
- CONFIRM CITY/TOWN/VILLAGE IS ACTIVE: Your municipality must be an active member paid in full to apply. If your city is not a current member, contact NLC Membership.
- GET REFERENCES: Reach out to your State Municipal League, city official peers and other professional colleagues.
Note: references and/or endorsements can be sent to NLC after the application has been submitted.
- UPDATE YOUR PROFESSIONAL RESUME AND BIOGRAPHY.
To be eligible to serve as a member of an NLC council, group or constituency group, the applicant must:
- Submit an application form electronically by due date for any available position.
- Be from an NLC direct or affiliate member city.
To access the application, click the APPLY HERE button, then select the Membership Application tab highlighted in yellow on the menu.
Nominating Committee Announced
NLC President and Los Angeles, California, President Pro Tempore Joe Buscaino appointed a 14-member nominating committee and two alternates that was responsible for recommending a slate of officers and board members to lead NLC in 2021. These leaders were elected during the Annual Business Meeting at City Summit on Friday, November 20.
NLC Past President and Cleveland, Ohio, Councilmember Matt Zone chaired the committee, which included 15 elected city officials and one state municipal league executive director.