Each year, Women in Municipal Government (WIMG) and the National League of Cities (NLC) recognize an individual for initiating creative and successful programs in municipal government that help their community, particularly if the leadership serves as a specific mentoring model for future female leaders. City staff, constituents, and fellow elected officials are encouraged to nominate a leader who fits this description!
Our goal is to promote a greater representation of women in local government and to encourage more women to run for elected municipal office.
Nominations for 2022 are now open and must be received by October 1, 2022.
Past winners of the WIMG leadership award include:
- 2021 | Chauna Banks, Councilmember, Baton Rouge, LA
- 2020 | Laurie-Anne Sayles, Council Vice President, Gaithersburg, MD
- 2019 | Kathy Maness, Councilmember, Lexington, SC
- 2018 | Elizabeth Carr-Hurst, Mayor, Fairburn, GA
- 2016 | Carolyn H. Bell, Mayor Pro Tem, Savannah, GA
- 2015 | Hazel Livingston, Mayor Pro Tem, Lexington, SC