Every community has different needs. It is crucial that local leaders are given the autonomy to determine what will help their residents.
Every day, city leaders are working to improve the health and welfare of their communities and the people who live there. But instead of partnership and support, many cities in recent years have confronted state politics and interference.
This loss of local decision-making, caused by the misuse and abuse of preemption, negatively impacts local leaders’ abilities to do everything from increasing minimum wages and guaranteeing family leave to updating zoning and setting appropriate tax rates.
Resources to help cities, towns and villages address preemption:
- New Principles of Home Rule
- Municipal Action Guide: Restoring City Rights in the Era of Preemption
- Report: City Rights in an Era of Preemption: A State-By-State Analysis
- Report: Local Tools to Address Housing Affordability: A State-By-State Analysis
- INTERACTIVE: Preemption Laws By State