In February of 2021, the National League of Cities (NLC) launched the Reimagining Public Safety Task Force made up of local leaders from across the country. The Task Force’s recommendations report, A Path Toward Safe and Equitable Cities, released in October, outlines five high-level recommendations for city leaders to help improve the ways in which they ensure the safety of all residents:
- Direct municipal government leadership toward providing safety and well-being for all.
- Balance the respective roles of government agencies, residents and partners.
- Significantly expand the use of civilian-led and community-based well-being and prevention-focused strategies.
- Embrace full and transparent oversight and accountability for law enforcement.
- Seek guidance and support from peers and experts with the assistance of the National League of Cities.
This toolkit provides extensive context and examples for city leaders to replicate, reference, and adapt as they implement reimagined approaches to public safety that work well in a local context.