The National League of Cities hosted a conversation on implementing the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on mask wearing. Hear from state league experts as they share practical steps and reflections on how localities are implementing this guidance.
Topics discussed during the webinar include:
- Legal issues that have arisen when state governments have banned masks and have gotten sued by school districts, local governments, and others and how those cases have played out so far.
- Lawsuits against states and local governments when they have required masks – the main legal issues in the cases, how have they turned out so far, and what factors are likely to make a difference in how the cases are decided.
- How local governments can think through what to do regarding the CDC’s mask recommendations and how state leagues can be supportive, including legal and practical considerations.
- What state leagues are doing to assist members navigate mask mandates.
- Tips for local governments and leagues when it comes to working with school districts, and state legislatures, and the community on masks.
- Moderator: Lisa Soronen, Executive Director, State and Local Legal Center
- Amber Eisenschenk, Research Manager, League of Minnesota Cities
- Rusi Patel, General Counsel, Georgia Municipal Association
- John Wilkerson, General Counsel, Arkansas Municipal League
Original event date: August 30, 2021