In keeping with NLC’s ongoing effort to support leaders in local government on matters of homelessness and housing insecurity, this overview provides foundational information for use in developing or refining local solutions and for building relevant stakeholder coalitions and community consensus.
Key takeaways include:
- Homelessness is frequently cited as a top concern by a broad cross-section of mayors and elected officials, from large and small cities.
- Homelessness can affect all people.
- The Point-in-Time count estimates severely undercount the homeless population.
- Communities of color are overrepresented among the homelessness population.
- The determinants of homelessness are many.
- Homelessness takes a toll on society in broad and diverse ways and is harmful for individuals and costly for communities.