NLC Strategic Plan
Driving Change: A Bold New Approach
In order to chart a course that keeps the National League of Cities relevant to current and potential members while navigating the economic and political circumstances, we set forth on developing a three year strategic plan.
A Strategic Planning Task Force spent a year surveying, interviewing and listening to our individual members, leaders, councils, committees, constituency groups, state municipal leagues and staff.
We heard the feedback and we agree: it is time to transform the National League of Cities into the most relevant, powerful force for cities that it can be.
We're making a powerful new commitment as an organization. Going forward, everything we do will strive to embody eight core principles critical to our members. We will be:
- Inclusive - nonpartisan, embracing diverse views, modeling civility, providing "many doors" into NLC
- Focused - on what matters most to our members and municipalities nationwide
- Valuable - as a resource and advocate for our members, and a partner to the state municipal leagues and federal policymakers
- Influential - recognized as powerful, reliable and respected by federal policymakers
- Visible - to our members, in Washington, DC, and in the news
- Relationship Driven - building personal connections among members and with NLC staff
- Forward Leaning - with compelling engagement opportunities and cutting edge ideas and technology
- Financially Solid - with a diversified revenue model
To achieve this, we set five clear, powerful goals.
Goal #1: Proactively drive federal policy.
Goal #2: Promote innovation and provide proven strategies and valuable resources.
Goal #3: Raise the profile of city governments as key leaders and partners in improving the quality of life for our nation.
Goal #4: Expand the capacity of city officials to serve as ethical, effective and engaged leaders.
Goal #5: Transform our organization so that it is focused on top priorities, fully aligned, nimble, accountable, and transparent.
Join us as we embark on this exciting transformation into a more streamlined, effective and value-driven organization!