2020 Leadership Application
Inspire Change. Get Involved. Lead at NLC.
There are so many different ways to lead at NLC.
- Be a National City Leader — Join our Board of Directors
- Shape National Municipal Policy — Join a Federal Advocacy Committee
- Advocate for Diversity in Cities — Join a Constituency Group
- Connect with Cities Like Yours — Join a Member Council
Serving in a leadership position as an NLC Board Member, Officer, Chair, or Member is one of the most rewarding ways for you as a municipal leader to bring your expertise to the service of cities, towns and villages at the national level. By representing your community and contributing your voice, you have the opportunity to impact the direction of the National League of Cities and even national policy.
You can apply for up to three different groups.
- Board of Directors
- Federal Advocacy Committees
Community & Economic Development
Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
Finance Administration & Intergovernmental Relations
Information Technology & Communications
Public Safety & Crime Prevention
Transportation & Infrastructure Services
- Member Councils
First-Tier Suburbs Council
Large Cities Council
Military Communities Council
Small Cities Council
University Communities Council
Council on Youth, Education, and Families
Race, Equity and Leadership (REAL) Council
- Constituency Groups
Hispanic Elected Local Officials (HELO)
National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials (NBC-LEO)
Women in Municipal Government (WIMG)
Please note that the Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials (APAMO) and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Local Officials (LGBTLO) Constituency Groups are currently not in cycle for the NLC Leadership Applications. With the exception of one LGBTLO at large board member position.
Updated Application Process!
This year the application process will be separated into two phases:
- NOW OPEN! Leadership applications: August 13 – September 24
- Membership applications: October 22-December 3
Please note: if you are interested in applying for membership of a council, constituency group, or committee, applications will not be available until October.
- Login to your MyNLC account and update your profile (important sections to update include: full profile, contact information, expertise and interests). Note: MyNLC account must be for applicant.
- Pay membership dues — your city must be an active member paid in full to apply. If your city is not a current member, contact NLC Membership.
- Get references — reach out to your State Municipal League, city official peers and other professional colleagues.
- Update your professional resume and biography.
- Write your personal statement about what makes you a good fit for the role.
Not sure if you have an NLC account? Please contact NLC Membership for verification at email@example.com.
To access the application, click the APPLY HERE button below, then select the Leadership Application tab highlighted in yellow on the menu.
To be eligible to serve in a leadership position, the applicant must:
- Submit an application form electronically by September 24, 2019 for any leadership positions and by December 3, 2019 for any membership position.
- Be from an NLC direct or affiliate member city;
- If you are applying to lead a Member Council, Constituency Group, or Federal Advocacy Committee, you must:
- Be a current member of NLC, with up-to-date and paid membership dues and activity fees when applicable at time of application;
- If elected, participation in Committee and Council convenings is highly encouraged or required of members.
Are you interested in applying for the NLC Board of Directors?
Please review this important information regarding applications for NLC Officers and Board of Directors.