Note: Leadership Applications are Currently Closed
Serve ‧ Empower ‧ Lead
Broaden your impact as a local leader and take your service to new heights.
- Join the NLC Board of Directors
- Lead a Federal Advocacy Committee and shape national municipal policy
- Lead a Member Council and connect with cities like yours
- Lead a Constituency Group and advocate for diversity and inclusion in cities
As a municipal leader, serving as an NLC Officer, Board Member, Chair, Vice Chair, or Constituency Group Leader is one of the most rewarding ways to provide service, empowerment, and leadership to cities, towns and villages at the national level. Represent your community and share your voice to influence the direction of the National League of Cities and even national municipal policy.
*Members must be an elected official from an NLC direct member city to apply.* You can apply for up to three different groups.
Board of Directors
Serving on the NLC Board is a rewarding and empowering opportunity as a municipal leader. It provides an exceptional platform to utilize your expertise and broaden your leadership to impact the service of cities, towns and villages at the national level.
Federal Advocacy Committees
- Community & Economic Development
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Finance Administration & Intergovernmental Relations
- Human Development
- Information Technology & Communications
- Public Safety & Crime Prevention
- Transportation & Infrastructure Services
- First Tier Suburbs Council
- Large Cities Council
- Military Communities Council
- Small Cities Council
- University Communities Council
- Council on Youth, Education, and Families
- Race, Equity and Leadership (REAL) Council
- Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials (APAMO)
- Hispanic Elected Local Officials (HELO)
- LGBTQ+ Local Officials (LGBTQ+LO)
- National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials (NBC-LEO)
- Women in Municipal Government (WIMG)
How To Apply
Note: Leadership applications are currently closed.
- Login to your MyNLC account and update your profile. Important sections to update:
- full profile
- contact information
- expertise and interests
- Note: MyNLC account must be for the applicant
- Update your professional resume and biography
Not sure if you have an NLC account? Please contact NLC Membership for verification at firstname.lastname@example.org
To be eligible to serve in a leadership position, the applicant must:
- Submit an application form electronically by September 26, 2023 for any available position
- Be an elected official from an NLC direct member city
- Be a current member of NLC, with up-to-date and paid membership dues and activity fees (when applicable) at time of application
Stay Up to Date with the Latest News and Insights
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletters to get the latest NLC news, including when applications reopen.