NLC members are on the frontlines when it comes to emerging technology. Whether it’s regulating the deployment of small cell wireless devices and e-scooters or determining which chatbot best meets the needs of residents while integrating seamlessly with the website, cities across the country are looking for technology to provide innovative solutions to problems in their communities.
The Emerging Technology Webinar Series gives participants a chance to share best practices and experiences with emerging technologies, hear from leading researchers and practitioners in the field and envision how technology could improve the quality of life in their communities.
Webinar 1: Equity in Broadband: Innovative Partnerships to Bridge the Digital Divide
Join NLC, Edison Electric Institute and our esteemed panel as we kick off this webinar series with a critical discussion on equity in broadband deployment. COVID-19 highlights the great need for broadband options and accessibility for individuals to lead healthy and productive lives. As children remain in distance learning and many jobs across the country are fully remote, access to quality broadband continues to be of paramount importance to cities of all sizes. Alabama Power, in concert with local and state government and telecommunications companies, has developed innovative solutions and partnerships to expand access to high-speed internet in its service territory – providing a critical digital lifeline today and for the future. Join us on Thursday, February 25th at 2:00PM ET.
- Introduction: Lena Geraghty, Program Director, Urban Innovation, NLC
- Moderator: John Smola, Director of Business Transformation and Administration, Alabama Power
- Mayor Steven Reed, Montgomery, Alabama
- Mayor Terrence Windham, Aliceville, Alabama
- Ben Moncrief, Managing Director for Alabama, C Spire
- Sen. Clay Scofield, Senate Majority Leader, Alabama State Senate
- Sen. Bobby Singleton, Senate Minority Leader, Alabama State Senate
Stay tuned for details on upcoming webinars in this series.