Cities Lead the Way on Mental Health, Substance Use and Homelessness
Every day in the United States, cities, towns and villages across the country face the challenges posed by mental illness, substance use disorder and homelessness. An effective response by municipal leaders requires a comprehensive, multi-sector approach. Many local leaders are working to introduce innovations with a focus on emergency response and crisis stabilization.
Please join the National League of Cities, Arnold Ventures and the Addiction Treatment and Recovery Caucus, as we learn from local leaders and partner organizations about on-the-ground strategies to address these issues, as well as thoughts on how the federal government can play an active role.
Special Guest: Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Featured Panelists Include:
- The Hon. Karen Freeman-Wilson, Mayor, Gary, Indiana, and President, National League of Cities
- The Hon. Steve Williams, Mayor, Huntington, West Virginia
- The Hon. Jeff Longwell, Mayor, Wichita, Kansas
- The Hon. Ana Sandoval, Councilmember, San Antonio, Texas
- Chris Jones, Senior Advisor and Director of Strategy and Innovation, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Andrew Sperling, Director of Legislative and Policy Advocacy, National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Mitchell R. Davis III, Chief of Police, Hazel Crest Police Department, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
- Lindsay Knotts, Policy Director, United States Interagency Council on Homelessness
- Clarence Anthony, CEO and Executive Director, National League of Cities
- Nicola Smith-Kea, Criminal Justice Manager, Arnold Ventures
- Sue Polis, Director, Health & Wellness, National League of Cities
- Carol McDaid, Principal, Capital Decisions, Inc.
Lunch will be served. If you have any questions, please contact Rohan Narayanan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event adheres to both the House and Senate Ethics Committees’ guidelines regarding widely attended events.