NLC Works with ‘Big 7’ to Urge House to Act on Marketplace Fairness
At the hearing earlier this month on “Exploring Alternative Solutions on the Internet Sales Tax Issue,” Chairman Bob Goodlatte (VA) reiterated his support for the "plight of traditional retailers," but said if Congress acts, "it must do so deliberately and precisely to avoid a cacaphony of 9,600 taxing jurisdictions fighting over what is required."
The Big 7’s letter to Chairman Goodlatte and Ranking Member Conyers was included in the official Committee hearing record. In the letter, NLC thanked the committee leadership for their efforts to address remote sales tax collection and pledged assistance in advancing marketplace fairness legislation. While the Chairman's next move is not clear, NLC and the rest of the Big 7 will continue to advocate for passage this year.
The Big 7 includes the following organizations:
- National League of Cities
- National Governors Association
- National Conference of State Legislatures
- The Council of State Governments
- National Association of Counties
- The U.S. Conference of Mayors
- International City/County Management Association