Doris McConnell Elected President of Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials
Shoreline, Wash. Councilmember Named Group's 2015-2016 Leader
WASHINGTON - Doris McConnell, councilmember of Shoreline, Wash. was named the 2015-2016 president of the Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials (APAMO) constituency group at the group's annual meeting at the National League of Cities' (NLC) Congressional City Conference in Washington, D.C. APAMO's mission is to provide Asian Pacific American municipal officials and their colleagues with a forum to share ideas and develop leadership experience. Officers and board members serve a two-year term.
APAMO's 2014-2015 executive officers are:
- President - Doris McConnell, councilmember, Shoreline, Wash.
- 1st Vice President: Leland Cheung, Councilor, Cambridge, Mass.
- Treasurer: Jennifer Tan, councilor, City of West Linn, Ore.
- Secretary: Polly Low, councilwoman, Rosemead, Calif.
- Immediate Past President: Suzanne Chan, vice mayor, Fremont, Calif.
Established in 1985, APAMO serves as a vehicle for members to discuss problems and explore solutions, debate policy issues and contribute to the success of American cities and towns. The group's board of directors and general members strive to share their experiences in government with other Asian Pacific Americans and local officials. APAMO has a board of directors as well as general members.
APAMO's 2015-2016 Board Members:
- Gilbert Wong, councilmember, Cupertino, Calif.
- Stephen Sham, councilmember, Alhambra, Calif.
- PC Wu, councilmember, Pensacola, Fla.
- Conrad Lee, councilmember Bellevue, Wash.
- Benny Lee, vice mayor, San Leandro, Calif.
- Mary Su, councilmember, Walnut City, Calif.
- Chin Ho, vice mayor, San Gabriel, Calif.
- Stephen Ly, councilmember, Rosemead, Calif.
- Ash Kalra, councilmember, San Jose, Calif.
- Carol K. Chen, mayor, Cerritos, Calif.
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.