In the ever-evolving world of social media, it can be challenging for local leaders to keep up. The latest social platform Threads, created by Instagram/Meta, aims to strengthen connections. We’ve listed what local leaders need to know about Threads, including its features, best strategies for usage, and the challenges local leaders face in staying connected across multiple social media platforms.
Threads’ format is very similar to Twitter. Users log in using their Instagram accounts (having an Instagram account is required to create a Threads account), and posts can be up to 500 characters long and include links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes in length. Here are some of the key features:
- Automatically integrates current followers list from Instagram
- Easy access to private messaging
- Camera-Centric option for posting quick photos like Snapchat stories or BeReal
- Ability to post for a selected group of followers
- Blocking, restrictions, and muting of certain users
- Screenshot notifications for increased privacy
Best Strategies for Utilizing Threads:
- Be Authentic: Threads is all about authentic communication. Share meaningful moments. Show them the hard work involved in making their community better! This will help build trust and strengthen relationships with constituents.
- Leverage Auto-Status and Suggestions: Allow Threads to suggest relevant photos and updates based on location, activity, or other contextual cues. This feature can help streamline the content creation process and make sharing moments effortless when crunched for time.
- Utilize Direct Messaging: Use the one-on-one or small group messaging feature to have deeper conversations with close followers. Engage in meaningful discussions, offer support, and stay connected on a more personal level.
Challenges for Local Leaders:
While social media platforms like Threads offer unique opportunities for local leaders to connect with their communities, it can also present challenges in staying connected across multiple platforms. Here are some strategies to overcome this hurdle:
- Prioritize Platforms: Identify the key social media platforms where your community is most active and focus efforts there. This will help streamline efforts and allocate time more effectively.
- Use Automation Tools: Explore social media automation tools that can help schedule posts, manage multiple accounts, and track engagement. These tools can save time and allow you to maintain an active presence on various platforms without feeling overwhelmed. Threads is not currently supported by any social media software, so that is something to consider when planning posts.
- Delegate Responsibilities: If feasible, consider delegating social media management tasks to team members or volunteers.
- Monitor and Engage: Regularly monitor social media accounts for messages, comments, and mentions. Engage with followers by responding to queries, thanking supporters, and participating in conversations. This active presence will help you stay connected and build stronger relationships.
Threads provides a unique opportunity to strengthen relationships with followers, and by understanding its features and implementing effective strategies, local leaders can leverage the platform to its full potential.
Connect with Us
Stay in the loop! Don’t miss the latest updates and initiatives for cities, towns, and villages. Follow @leagueofcities on Threads to get a front-row seat to the innovative solutions, policies, and progress we’re pushing forward to build better communities!