American Flag at Half-Mast
n 1954, President Eisenhower issued the following standards for half mast displays. This serves as a customary guide for those outside the jurisdiction of executive orders who wish to show their respects. Common observances are:
- 30 days for President (current or former)
- 10 days for Vice President, Chief Justice of Supreme Court (current or former), Speaker of the House
- From day of death until interment for Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Secretary of Executive or Military Department, former Vice President, Governor of State, Territory or possession
- On the day of death and the following day for a member of Congress
- On Memorial Day (last Monday of May in the U.S.), the flag is traditionally displayed at half mast from dawn until noon and at full mast for the remainder of daylight
U.S. House of Representatives. "United States Code: Title 36 - Patriotic Societies and Observances." Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.