Michael H. T. Lynch Memorial Scholarship
Congratulations to the 2017 Michael H.T. Lynch Scholarship recipient, Mayor Patricia Garrett of Decatur, Georgia. We thank all those who submitted their applications.
In recognition of Councilmember Michael Lynch's contributions to the National League of Cities and the Leadership Training Council, NLC created the Michael H. T. Lynch Scholarship for an NLC Member to attend the annual Leadership Summit Program. Learn more about the NLC University Annual Leadership Summit. Please fill out the application form below.
The scholarship covers the registration fee, airfare, and lodging for one NLC member to attend the NLC University Annual Leadership Summit, a personal leadership retreat designed to enhance success and understanding of leadership roles and responsibilities as a municipal official. All elected or appointed officials from NLC Member Cities are eligible to apply for this Scholarship.
All local officials (elected or appointed) from NLC member municipalities are eligible to apply. The $2,500 scholarship covers the registration fee, travel, and lodging for NLC University's Annual Leadership Summit, held in September or October.
- Fully complete the scholarship application form.
- Include a 500-word-minimum personal statement addressing your community involvement, your experiences as a municipal leader, and your roles as a life-long learner and mentor.
- Submit your application by July 15th. All applications must be submitted using the form below.
All scholarship applications will be reviewed using the following selection criteria, listed below in order of priority:
- Application was received the due date of July 15.
- Applicant is from an NLC Member City.
- Applicant currently serves as an elected or appointed local official.
- Applicant provided a strong, thoughtful personal statement that is reflective of community involvement, municipal leadership, and a commitment to lifelong learning and mentoring.
- Applicant has indicated their number of years in current office or position (preference may be given to newly-elected or appointed officials).
- Applicant has previously served in other community leadership roles.
- Applicant has held other leadership positions or roles for another organization or group.
Background on Michael Lynch:
Until his untimely death in February 2008, Councilmember Lynch was active in the Leadership Training Institute as a learner, a mentor, and a member of NLC's Leadership Training Council (LTC) and the LTC Scholarship Committee. Councilmember Lynch was an advocate for education and training as well as a dedicated public servant. Prior to his election to the Kirkwood City Council in 2000, he served on the city's Planning and Zoning Commission and was closely involved with the Kirkwood Special Business District.