Veterans & Special Needs
Since 2012, NLC has supported city leaders in their efforts to meet the housing needs of veterans and their families through research and technical engagement.
As a national leader of the Mayors Challenge to End Veteran Homelessness NLC has helped connect the commitment of local elected officials to community efforts working to provide housing to all veterans. The Mayors Challenge has been a key component of the national progress on veteran homelessness, which has declined 47 percent since 2010.
The progress made on homelessness by focusing on veterans offers valuable lessons as our nation navigates demographic changes with the aging baby boomer generation. NLC’s program work on veteran housing provides insights and lessons that can be applied to help meet the affordable housing challenges facing cities.
- Ensuring All Veterans Have Safe Housing Requires All Hands On Deck
- Three Steps & Five Questions to End Veteran Homelessness in Your City
- Three Ways This State is Housing All Homeless Veterans
- Engaging Landlords to End Veterans Homelessness
- Three Ways Cities Can Navigate the Silver Tsunami