National League of Cities Announces 2015 Leadership Team
Washington, D.C. - National League of Cities (NLC) President Ralph Becker, mayor, Salt Lake City, Utah, today announced his 2015 leadership team for the organization's policy and advocacy committees and member councils. All chairs and vice chairs were appointed by Mayor Becker to serve a one-year term and will play a key role in shaping NLC's policy positions and advocating on behalf of America's cities and towns before Congress, with the Administration and at home.
"The local leaders that make up the 2015 leadership team bring a wealth of valuable leadership and experience that will help guide the National League of Cities in our activities over the coming year," said NLC President Becker.
"Cities are where the action is. As cities have become more influential and important, it is critical that we continue to advocate for federal policies that support the action, innovation, collaboration and results that are unique to municipal government. The 2015 leadership team will be instrumental in guiding us to this goal," added Becker.
Becker was elected NLC's 2014-2015 president at the group's annual conference in Austin, Texas, last November. Melodee Colbert-Kean, councilmember, Joplin, Mo., and Matt Zone, councilmember, Cleveland, Ohio, were elected to serve as NLC's first and second vice presidents, respectively.
2015 NLC Committee/Councils Leaders
Community and Economic Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Mike Wojcik, councilmember, Rochester, Minn.
- Vice Chair - Craig Thurmond, mayor, Broken Arrow, Okla.
- Vice Chair - Johnny DuPree, mayor, Hattiesberg, Miss.
Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Cindy Lerner, mayor, Pinecrest, Fla.
- Vice Chair - Sal Panto, Jr., mayor, Easton, Pa.
- Vice Chair - Ron Nirenberg, councilmember, San Antonio, Texas
Finance, Administration and Intergovernmental Relations Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Andy Hafen, mayor, Henderson, Nev.
- Vice Chair - Cynthia Mangini, councilmember, Enfield, Conn.
- Vice Chair - Darius Brown, councilmember, Wilmington, Del.
Human Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Vicki Welch, councilmember, Louisville, Ky.
- Vice Chair - Mia Gregerson, mayor, SeaTac, Wash.
- Vice Chair - William Bell, Sr., mayor, Birmingham, Ala.
Information Technology and Communications Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Jeff Moore, councilmember, Longmont, Colo.
- Vice Chair - Sheri Capehart, councilmember, Arlington, Texas
Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor, Gary, Ind.
- Vice Chair - Tony Anderson, deputy mayor, SeaTac, Wash.
- Vice Chair - Martha Sue Hall, councilmember, Albemarle, N.C.
Transportation and Infrastructure Services Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair - Robert Bauman, alderman, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Vice Chair - Patrick Wojahn, councilmember, College Park, Md.
- Vice Chair - Karen Johnson, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
Council on Youth, Education and Families
- Co-Chair - Kristin Szakos, vice mayor, Charlottesville, Va.
- Co-Chair - William Peduto, mayor, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Vice Chair - Joyce Sutton Cameron, mayor, Trotwood, Ohio
- Vice Chair - Ken Shetter, mayor, Burleson, Texas
Large Cities Council
- Chair - Jim Davis, councilmember, Sunnyvale, Calif.
First Tier Suburbs Council
- Chair - Stan Koci, mayor, Bedford, Ohio
- Vice Chair - Gary Sherwood, councilmember, Glendale, Ariz.
Small Cities Council
- Chair - Joe Shumway, councilmember, Laramie, Wyo.
- Vice Chair - Silke Pope, councilmember, Greenbelt, Md.
- Vice Chair - Rusty Johnson, commissioner, Ocoee, Fla.
Universities Communities Council
- Chair - AmyMarie Vizzo-Paniccia, councilmember, Bridgeport, Conn.
- Vice Chair - Wade Troxell, councilmember, Fort Collins, Colo.
- Vice Chair - Denise Mitchell, mayor pro tem, College Park, Md.
- Chair - Sheri Lauritano, councilmember, Goodyear, Ariz.
- Chair - Mark Mitchell, mayor, Tempe, Ariz.
- Vice Chair - David Baker, mayor, Kenmore, Wash.
- Vice Chair - Sedalia Sanders, councilmember, El Centro, Calif.
Military Communities Council
- Chair - Michael Bennett, mayor, Aberdeen, Md.
- Vice Chair - Andy Ryder, mayor, Lacey, Wash.
- Vice Chair - Jerry Weiers, mayor, Glendale, Ariz.
Corporate Partners Leadership Council
- Chair - Laraine Davis, vice president, Community Development, Wells Fargo
- Vice Chair - Eva Skidmore, director, Partnerships & Channels, Socrata
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.