Mayor James Walls, Jr. Elected President of the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials
Austin, Texas - Dr. James Walls, Jr., mayor of District Heights, Md., was elected the 2015 president of the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials (NBC-LEO) constituency group during the group's annual membership meeting at the National League of Cities' (NLC) Congress of Cities & Exposition in Austin, Texas.
"I am honored to lead NBC-LEO and work with NLC's leadership in helping to move good policy for cities and towns across this country to better serve our constituencies," Dr. Walls said.
Other officers elected during the NBC-LEO meeting include:
- President-Elect: Priscilla Tyson, councilmember, Columbus, Ohio
- 1st Vice President: David Howard, councilmember, Charlotte, N.C.
- 2nd Vice President: Hanifa Shabazz, councilmember, Wilmington, Del.
- Secretary: Lavonta Williams, councilmember, Wichita, Kan.
- Assistant Secretary: Trina Brown, councilmember, Bladensburg, Md.
- Treasurer: Lonnie Hughes, councilmember, East Orange, N.J.
- Assistant Treasurer: Jacobia Dowell, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
- Parliamentarian: Ricki Barlow, councilmember, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Assistant Parliamentarian: Laney Harris, councilmember, Texarkana, Ark.
- Historian: Mary Osborne, alderwoman, Savannah, Ga.
- Assistant Historian: Johnny Ford, mayor, Tuskegee, Ala.
- Chaplain: Samuel Ings, commissioner, Orlando, Fla.
- Assistant Chaplain: Darrell Miller, councilmember, Capitol Heights, Md.
Adam McFadden, councilmember of Rochester, N.Y. will be the group's immediate past president.
Other board members include:
- Jacquelyn Johnson, councilmember, East Orange, N.J.
- Deborah Denard Delgado, councilmember, Hattiesburg, Miss.
- Audwin Samuel, councilmember, Beaumont, Texas
- Felicia Moore, councilmember, Atlanta, Ga.
- Marian Tasco, councilmember, Philadelphia, Pa.
At-Large Board Members:
- Sharon Fields, councilmember, East Orange, New Jersey
- Caesor Johnson, vice mayor, Lynchburg, Va.
- Lewis Johnson, councilmember, Grenada, Miss.
- Cassandra Jones, councilmember, West Chester, Pa.
- Zack Reed, councilmember, Cleveland, Ohio
- Cedrick Thomas, councilmember, Riviera Beach, Fla.
Region 2: (PA, NY, NJ)
- Romal Bullock, councilmember, East Orange, N.J.
Region 3: (KY, WV, VA, MD, DC, DE)
- Jack Sims, councilmember, District Heights, Md.
Region 4: (OH, IN)
- Russel Neal, Jr., councilmember, Akron, Ohio
Region 5: (MI)
- Amos O'Neal, mayor pro tem, Saginaw, Mich.
Region 6: (IL)
- Michael Rogers, trustee, Maywood, Ill.
Region 7: (ND, SD, MN, WI)
- Dwayne Lowman, councilmember, Bloomington, Minn.
Region 8: (MO, IA, NE, KS, CO)
- Jermaine Reed, councilmember, Kansas City, Mo.
Region 9: (AK, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY)
- Greg Evans, councilor, Eugene, Ore.
Region 11: (NM, OK, TX)
- Bridgette Mathis, councilmember, Forest Hill, Texas
Region 12: (AR, TN)
- Karen Y. Johnson, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
Region 13: (LA)
- Sylvia Morrow, councilmember, Natchitoches, La.
Region 14: (MS)
- Fredrick Wilson, councilmember, Grenada, Miss.
Region 15: (AL)
- Cleophus King, councilmember, Bessemer, Ala.
Region 16: (GA)
- Dr. Estella Edwards Shabazz, alderwoman, Savannah, Ga.
Region 18: (NC)
- LaWana Mayfield, councilmember, Charlotte, N.C.
Region 19: (FL)
- Eric Jones, mayor, West Park, Fla.
NBC-LEO was created in 1970 to represent the interests of African American elected officials within NLC. The organization strives to increase African American participation on NLC steering and policy committees to ensure policy and program recommendations reflect African American concerns and benefit their communities.
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.