Federal Outreach Grants Available for Increasing Children’s Enrollment in Medicaid and CHIP
As NLC rolls out its Cities Expanding Children's Access to Health Care initiative, which will provide cities with technical assistance and pass-through grants to boost children's health insurance coverage, local officials have a concurrent opportunity to apply for federal outreach and enrollment grants to connect eligible children with Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are accepting proposals for these Connecting Kids to Coverage Outreach and Enrollment Grants between now and February 21, 2013. A total of $32 million will be made available to states, local governments, tribal entities and Indian health care providers, and nonprofit organizations, with approximately 40 grants ranging in size from $250,000 to $1 million and covering a two-year period.
The Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) of 2009 provided funding for outreach strategies to reduce the number of children who are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP but not enrolled. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act extended funding for CHIP and provided additional funding for a third cycle of outreach grants. This current round of grants will support the following efforts:
- Engaging schools in outreach, enrollment and retention activities;
- Bridging health coverage disparities by reaching out to subgroups of children that exhibit lower than average health coverage rates;
- Designing and executing targeted enrollment strategies to streamline health coverage enrollment for individuals participating in SNAP, WIC or other public benefit programs;
- Establishing and developing application assistance resources to provide high-quality, reliable Medicaid/CHIP enrollment and renewal services in local communities; and
- Conducting training programs to equip communities to help families understand the new application and enrollment system and to deliver effective assistance to families with children eligible for Medicaid and CHIP.
Click here to download the full solicitation and instructions to apply. Please contact (888) 203-6161 or email@example.com with any questions. For information about NLC's Cities Expanding Children's Access to Health Care initiative, please contact Heidi Goldberg at (202) 626-3069 or firstname.lastname@example.org.