NLC Goals and Beliefs
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. Working in partnership with the 49 state municipal leagues, NLC serves as a resource to and an advocate for the more than 19,000 cities, villages and towns it represents.
We believe in…
- Representative, participatory local government.
- Local government as the cornerstone of government in the United States.
- The value of public service.
- The value of diversity throughout our organization and our communities.
- Municipal authority over municipal issues.
- A commitment to the highest ethical standards among all public officials.
- Civility and mutual respect.
- Anticipating the needs of communities and developing strategies to meet those needs and improve the quality of life.
- Partnerships, coalitions and collaborations to strengthen cities and our advocacy efforts.
NLC’s Strategic Plan Goals
- Proactively drive federal policy on behalf of cities, on issues that directly impact them.
- Promote innovation and provide proven strategies and valuable resources. that address the challenges cities face.
- Raise the profile of city governments as key leaders and partners in improving the quality of life for our nation.
- Expand the capacity of city officials to serve as ethical, effective and engaged leaders.
- Achieve our mission and goals through an organizational structure that is aligned, nimble, accountable and transparent.
The mission of the National League of Cities is to strengthen and promote cities as centers of opportunity, leadership and governance.