Salt Lake City Wraparound Service

Summary
 

Salt Lake City, UT is currently home to 3 different Community Learning Centers (CLC). A CLC is a physical space but also based upon a set of philosophies and partnerships between a school and other community resources. The CLC model builds on the core instructional program of a school by adding education and life skill enrichment for the entire family and removing barriers to learning by providing necessary social services. At a CLC, young people, their families, and community residents work together as equal partners with the school and other community service providers to develop programs and enhance services in five areas: quality education, personal development, family support, family and community engagement, and community development. The district’s first center, Rose Park Elementary Community Learning Center in a 3,800 square foot building housing a health clinic, parent/family center, conference rooms, an early childhood learning center, and a full time mental health worker. In 2013 Salt Lake City finished construction on the $4.6 million, 30,000-square-foot Glendale/Mountain View CLC. The CLC located in between a local elementary and middle school, features a healthcare center, large classrooms, and a demonstration kitchen for community classes, as well as a pre-K and Kindergarten program.   Plans for two additional CLC’s have been announced, and construction is underway.  

 

The Strategy

Funding

The Salt Lake district paid about 85 percent of the $4.6 million cost of the Glendale/Mountain View CLC from its construction fund, which is separate from classroom spending. The other 15 percent came from a variety of donors. The facility is part of a Salt Lake County School District initiative that began more than 20 years ago. It was funded by a community development block grant and the city.

Outcomes

Schools and neighborhoods wtih a a CLChave experience increased academic acheivement, improved mental/physical health, increased parent involvement, fewer special education referrals, and increased school/community engagement.

Contact Information 

Institute for Youth, Education, and Families
pierson@nlc.org

Cynthia Talbot-Holz, M. S., CFRE

District Community Learning Center Coordinator,

Salt Lake City School District

A Capital City Education

440 East 100 South

Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

801-578-8345

Cynthia.talbotholz@slcschools.org

Related Topics