By Tammy Zborel
NLC’s Sustainable Cities Institute is proud to announce the launch of a Steering Committee to guide and support the development of the Institute as a leading resource for and about city-led sustainability activities. Consisting of elected officials, city staff, representatives from State Municipal Leagues, and well-respected sustainability organizations, the SCI Steering Committee will provide feedback to ensure that SCI is meeting its goals to inform, support, strengthen and celebrate city sustainability efforts, and is responsive to the needs of local government. The Steering Committee will also work to ensure that SCI continues and strengthens its role as a leading resource for and about city-led sustainability activities.
Inaugural members of the SCI Steering Committee are listed below. Biographies and photos can be found on the Sustainable Cities Institute Steering Committee page.
• Matthew Appelbaum, Mayor, City of Boulder, Colo.
• Michael Crowley, Senior Program Officer, Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC)
• Luke Forrest, Program Coordinator, Michigan Green Communities, Michigan Municipal League
• Pete Haga, Community/ Government Relations Officer, City of Grand Forks, N.D.
• Mary Hamann-Roland, Mayor, City of Apple Valley
• Jason Hartke, Vice President, National Policy, U.S. Green Building Council
• Brian Holland, Director, Climate Programs, ICLEI-USA
• Gerry Horak, Mayor Pro Tem, City of Fort Collins, Colo.
• Yvonne Hunter, Co-Director, Sustainability Program, Institute for Local Government
• Alice Kennedy, Sustainability Coordinator, City of Baltimore, Md.
• Joe Lerch, Director of Environmental Policy, Virginia Municipal League
• Dennis Murphey, Chief Environmental Officer, City of Kansas City, Mo.
• Raeanne Presley, Mayor, City of Branson, Mo.
• Don Reeder, Assistance Director of Communications for Public Affairs, League of Minnesota Cities
• Satya Rhodes-Conway, Managing Director, Mayor’s Innovation Project
• Dave Richins, Councilmember, City of Mesa, Ariz.
• Brendan Shane, Sustainability Director, City of Washington, D.C.
• John Roberts Smith, President and CEO, Reconnecting America
• Scott Timm, Sustainability Director, City of Fairfield, Iowa
• Hilari Varnadore, Executive Director, STAR Communities
• Nicole A. Woodman, Sustainability Manager, City of Flagstaff, Ariz.
The Sustainable Cities Institute (SCI) is NLC’s centerpiece sustainability initiative. Created as an online toolbox, SCI provides a dynamic platform of resources to assist cities identify, plan for and implement holistic, long-term approaches to community-wide sustainability. Through case studies, informational overviews, model policies, reports, city profiles and more, SCI aims to provide local government leaders with a one-stop shop of sustainability resources across a range of issues areas. Developed in 2009 by The Home Depot Foundation, SCI was officially welcomed to the National League of Cities in March 2012.