2017 Leadership Summit and Big Ideas for Cities
San Diego, CA 92101
Monday, October 2, 2017
3:00 pm – 5:00 pm Registration – US Grant Hotel
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm Big Ideas for Cities (Location TBD)
7:00 pm – 8:30 pm Opening Reception (US Grant Hotel)
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
8:00 am – 5:00 pm Summit Registration – US Grant Hotel
8:00 am Breakfast
9:00 am — 11:50 am Opening General Session
- Personal Leadership Development: Fostering Inclusion
- Inclusion requires action, built upon a framework of thoughtful consideration. Statements of inclusion, without action, will not resonate the same way statements with action will. During this session, attendees will learn methods on how to thoughtfully organize inclusion action, and expand communication and policy opportunities with a focus on people and their diverse backgrounds. From the beginning, attendees will learn best practices for a sustainable inclusion model, thereby laying the groundwork to foster an inclusive environment and conversation. During the session, key tools will be provided to attendees and these tools will help as attendees grow inclusion opportunities at home. Additionally, the session will outline a holistic way of thinking about inclusion through a leadership lens.
12:00 noon — 1:20 pm Lunch
- Special Speakers (Buffet)
1:30 — 5:00 pm General Session – US Grant Hotel
- From Exclusion to Collaboration: Building Inclusive Communities through Civic Engagement
- What are the strongest forces bringing people together in your community? Maybe an exciting development project, renewed energy and resources allocated to a struggling neighborhood, or something simple such as a sporting event? The common dominator is how people come together under a unified purpose. The togetherness comes from vision, belief, hope and passion from each individual. By allowing everyone to contribute in their unique way, exclusion is shed from the equation and collaboration will grow. During this session the National Civic League will guide attendees through the process of utilizing community forces to promote civic engagement, measure impact and practice engagement techniques designed to replace exclusion with inclusion.
6:00 pm — 9:00 pm Reception
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
8:00 am – 12:00 pm Summit Registration – The US Grant Hotel
8:00 am Breakfast
9:00 am — 11:50 am General Session
- A National Conversation on Inclusion and Equity
- Inclusion and equity have differing definitions based on who defines the words. Session attendees, through the help of the National Civic League and NLC’s Race Equity and Leadership (REAL) initiative, will have an opportunity to outline what inclusion and equity means to them and their area of jurisdiction. Next, trainers will share growth strategies for elevating individual definitions, on inclusion and equity, to a national conversation. Building upon prior Leadership Summit trainings, this session will provide an environment to learn from other’s practices, definitions and scalable ideas. Additionally, trainers will offer tips on how to engage local resources and sponsors thereby strengthening attendee’s national position on inclusion and equity.
12:00 noon — 1:20 pm Lunch — The US Grant Hotel
- Special Speakers
1:30 pm — 5:00 pm Mobile Tour (TBD)
5:00 pm Evening Out
Thursday, October 5, 2017
8:00 am — 9:30 am Networking Breakfast
Join leaders from across the country for the NLC University Leadership Summit
October 2 - October 5, 2017
This year's theme is Leadership for Inclusion
The NLC University convenes elected officials, municipal leaders, city staff and industry professionals annually at the NLC University Leadership Summit. By design, NLC University seeks to engage everyone under one banner of inclusion. Summit excitement and learning begins long before arrival – you’re already engaged in local efforts to improve the quality of life for all residents. NLC University values your unique perspective and we challenge everyone to bring a definition of what inclusion means personally and for the communities where you live, work and play.
The leadership summit provides attendees with an opportunity to recognize and reflect with peers as we aim to strengthen the profile of your cities, towns and villages. Additionally, the Leadership Summit will equip you with specific tools and a stronger national network to refine your understanding and implementation of inclusion. Join us October 2 – 5, 2017 in sunny San Diego, California.
NLC members earn 10 credits in the NLC University Certificate Program.
Audience: City and state officials, private sector representatives and nonprofit leaders.
US Grant Hotel
San Diego, CA 92101
You may also book reservations by calling 1-866-837-4270. Let the operator know you are attending the 2017 NLC University Leadership Summit.