by Lara Malakoff
The 2011 City Showcase at the Congress of Cities and Exposition in Phoenix will offer conference attendees a unique opportunity to network with city leaders and staff who are innovating and creating solutions in their communities.
The City Showcase, which will be located inside the NLC Pavilion in the Exhibit Hall on Thursday, November 10 and Friday November 11, will feature engaging displays and knowledgeable representatives from 36 innovative city programs.
Twenty-four of the programs were selected through a competitive application process by experts in NLC's Center for Research and Innovation and Institute for Youth, Education and Families. The programs were selected for their innovative practices and their contribution to a collection of programs that demonstrates a wide range of geographical locations, city sizes and topic areas.
Each program is aligned with one or more of the conference's 2011 concurrent conference topics: Economic Development, Green Cities, Infrastructure and Your City's Families. Twelve additional programs will highlight innovative city practices from Arizona and the Phoenix metropolitan area.
The City Showcase is NLC's premier program celebrating city achievements.
Descriptions of each of the City Showcase programs are available on the NLC website
The following are the 2011 City Showcase programs:
• Virtual Supermarket - Baltimore
• Solar Beaverton - Beaverton, Ore.
• Highway 10/Highway 25 Intersection Upgrade - Big Lake, Minn.
• City of Boulder's Flexible Rebate Incentive - Boulder, Colo. • Bank On Brazos Valley - Bryan, Texas
• Town of Cary's Virtual Interactive Planner - Cary, N.C.
• Gallery Night Trolley - Coral Gables, Fla.
• Safe Routes to School Decatur - Decatur, Ga.
• Northeast Central Durham Livability Initiative - Partnership for Sustainable Communities - Durham, N.C.
• Our Grandchildren's Future - Eunice, N.M.
• Highland Communications Services - Highland, Ill.
• One Block at a Time - A Concentrated Neighborhood Investment - Independence, Mo.
• Jacksonville Children's Commission - Jacksonville, Fla.
• Alternative Fuel Vehicle - Kansas City, Mo.
• Joint Wastewater Treatment Facility - Lexington, S.C.
• 55,000 Degrees - Louisville, Ky.
• Clean Energy Works - Portland, Ore.
• Potosi Brewery Restoration - Potosi, Wisc.
• Green Riverside - Riverside, Calif.
• Active Living Rochester - Rochester, Minn.
• Riverwalk Project: A New Era of Development - Rock Hill, S.C.
• Operation Phoenix - San Bernardino, Calif.
• Health on a Shelf - Tupelo, Miss.
• Virginia Beach, VA: Green Destination - Virginia Beach, Va. Details:
Special thanks to Southwest Airlines, the official sponsor of the 2011 City Showcase.
For more information about the City Showcase, go to the City Showcase webpage
or contact the City Showcase coordinators: Lara Malakoff at email@example.com
or Will McGahan firstname.lastname@example.org
. Interact With City Showcase Programs
Conference attendees can interact with and learn from City Showcase programs in a variety of ways. In addition to displays staffed throughout the day on Thursday and Friday in the Exhibit Hall, a series of informal presentations will take place in the City Showcase area on Thursday November 10th.
• 10 - 11 a.m. will feature programs related to Your City's Families.
• 11 a.m. - noon will feature programs related to Green Cities.
• 2 - 3 p.m. will feature programs related to Economic Development.
• 3 - 4 p.m. will feature programs related to Infrastructure.
Select City Showcase participants will also be speaking at workshops and participating in other peer learning and networking activities in the four concurrent conferences.