Women in Municipal Government (WIMG) Elects New Leadership
Washington – December 5, 2017 – At the annual City Summit conference in Charlotte, N.C. earlier this month, the Women in Municipal Government (WIMG), a constituency group of the National League of Cities (NLC), elected Councilmember Joyce Sheperd of Atlanta to serve as WIMG’s 2018 president.
The Women in Municipal Government (WIMG) constituency group was formed in 1974 to serve as a forum for communication and networking among women local elected officials and their colleagues within the National League of Cities (NLC). It strives to raise awareness about issues of concern to women, and it encourages women to seek public office in their communities.
“The National League of Cities’ (NLC) constituency groups represent a diverse group of elected officials and residents. The Women in Municipal Government advocates for women in local government, and helps NLC shape policies that benefit women across America,” said NLC CEO and Executive Director Clarence E. Anthony.
In addition to electing a new president, WIMG also elected a new first vice president, second vice president and board of directors.
2018 WIMG Officers:
- President: Joyce Sheperd, councilmember, Atlanta
- First Vice President: AmyMarie Vizzo-Paniccia, councilmember, Bridgeport, Conn.
- Second Vice President: Lindsey Horvath, councilmember, West Hollywood, Calif.
- Immediate Past President: Mary McComber, mayor, Oak Park Heights, Minn.
2018 Board of Directors
- Shelly Barnhart, councilmember, Lincoln, Ala.
- Wally Campbell, vice mayor, Goodyear, Ariz.
- Gloria J. Battle, commissioner, Deerfield Beach, Fla.
- Carolyn H. Bell, mayor pro tem, Savannah, Ga.
- Tameika Isaac Devine, councilmember, Columbia S.C.
- Julie Fishman, commissioner, Tamarac, Fla.
- Madelyn Scales Harris, councilmember, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Sharon Hurt, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
- Del Mims, commissioner, Creedmoor, N.C.
- Lillian Moore, council president, Highland Hills, Ohio
- Linda Omobien, councilmember, Akron, Ohio
- Serena Schermoly, councilmember, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Kimyada Wellington, trustee, Maywood, Ill.
- Beverly M. Williams, commissioner, Lauderdale Lakes, Fla.
- Cynthia Wright-Toles, councilmember, Gadsden, Ala.
2018 Advisory Council
- Jean Abernathy-Smith, councilmember pro tem, Highland Hills, Ohio
- M. Margaret Bates, commissioner, Lauderhill, Fla.
- Mary Brown, councilmember, Gary, Ind.
- Mildred C. Crump, council president, Newark, N.J.
- Kathy Maness, councilmember, Lexington, S.C.
- Kay Senter, vice mayor, Morristown, Tenn.
Press contact: Meri St. Jean (202-626-3167 | email@example.com)
About the National League of Cities
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans. www.nlc.org